Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Child has swollen lymph nodes in groin. Had virus but better now. Cancer?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9351 Questions
Baby Boy 16 months old has swollen lymph nodes in groin area. Had a virus but is all better now, but nodes are still swollen. Could this be cancer?
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Cancer is the last thing to think of. it is extremely rare in this age and swollen lymph nodes may be found in healthy people or more usual this is sign of any bacterial or viral infection,even infection which isnt noticed at all. Also node are swollen up to 4 weeks after infection has passed. So if your baby has no other symptoms such as paleness, unexplained bruising, weight loss or fever, you should not be concerned at all. Just wait for 1-2 weeks and lymph nodes will reduce. If not ,this still isnt something serious.Just do blood tests or inguinal ultrasoound if necessary to rule out some other diseases.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor