Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Child has started facing stammering problem. Any suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3631 Questions
my 4 year old baby girl facing stammring problem.please sugges me what can i do for her
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Stuttering/stammering occurs most often in children when they are between 2 and 5-years-old. Most of the children recover without any intervention, but in children who continue to stuttering the cause for the same is identified and treatment installed. Treatment does help about 80% children with complete recovery.

The common causes for such stuttering in children are as below:
Genetics with atleast one near kin with the problem
Neurophysiological defects with difficulty in using the structures involved in phonation
Lifestyles including high expectations and fast-paced lifestyles can contribute to stuttering.

First you may have to get him examined by an ENT specialist to identify the type and cause for the stuttering.

Treatment options are as below:
Speech therapy,
Psychologist’s intervention,
Hypnotherapy etc.

The suitable option amongst the above will be chosen by the ENT specialist who can identify the cause after physical examination.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor