Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Child has sore head, vomiting and stomach ache

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
my 4 year old is complaining that his head is sore he is vomiting and has stomach ache?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.
Your child seems to have an infection which could be either viral or bacterial.
In most cases viral infections cause generalized symptoms like headache , body ache , diarrhea , vomiting and low grade fever. In such cases the symptoms peak in 2 days and then resolve on their own within a week or two ,with supportive treatment like analgesics and probiotics.
In case of more severe bacterial infections the child may have worsening of symptoms progressively and which will resolve only after starting appropriate antibiotics .
The best way to confirm and treat is to get your child examined by his pediatrician who can confirm the diagnosis and start antibiotics if necessary .
Meanwhile you can try the following for better relief ,
1. Avoiding dehydration is the most important step for early recovery .so please ensure he has plenty of fluids and if required oral rehydration solution (WHO ORS) is recommended .
2. Vomiting if persistent might need prescription strength antiemetic like domeperidone or ondansetron. It's better to control the headache and stomachache with appropriate prescription strength of analgesics antispasmodics like acetaminophen and dicylomine to prevent worsening of general conditon and vomiting
3. Rest and a nutritious diet are equally important .allow small frequent meals to avoid vomiting.
4. In case the child develops fever, diarrhea , stomach cramps, decreased urination etc then please seek prompt consultation.
As of now the situation doesn't seem much worrisome though does warrant a consultation and treatment .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor