Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Child has sickle cell disease and found swollen spleen. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1464 Questions
hi, my son has sickle cell and has a swollen spleen due to seems like a bad cold or sinus infection...just wondering what signs I should look for if I need to take him to ER??
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
It is true that sickle cell disease leads to a small spleen in the majority but in childhood the spleen is often palpable (before there is auto-infarction which reduces the spleen size. As he is only 4 years age, I think that it is quite normal to find a palpable spleen in him.
You can continue the meds prescribed by your doc and only if he develops danger
signs like high fever, lethargy, poor oral intake, low urine output then you should take him to the ER.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further follow-up queries, if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child has sickle cell disease and found swollen spleen. Should I consult a doctor? 16 hours later
just wanted to say thank you for your response....he is continuing to do much better now. His spleen seems to have gone down some, he is taking his G-tube feedings better, urine output is great, and no fever. He is getting better from his illness. thanks again, your information really helped reassure me that he's on the right to track to getting better.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 21 minutes later
Thanks for following up.
Best wishes for him.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor