Owl Image

Child has runny nose, cough and sneezing problem. Suggest some effective medicine

Owl Image
Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Question
Hello Doctor,

My Five year old son is almost always on a running nose. When the weather gets colder, he even starts sneezing and cough. It has been a very persistent problem and whenever we showed the local paediatrician, we were prescribed the normal could and cough medicine.

I want to request an expert to examine him deeper and solve the irritating problem. Please advise.
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX
Your on having persistent running nose ,sneezing and oughnare in favour of allergy .
The problem is to find out what he is allergic to!

It is not always easy to find the allergen because it is not the food alone( which can tested),but the dust in his environment including the school,,pollen in the air ,moulds in the house ,etc.

Absence of fever supports the allergic cause .

You can try a few things.

1 keep his room,your house,sleeping pace,etc dust free.(from the fine dust ) you can use vacuum to clean .

2- do not use powder,sprays in his vicinity.
3-avoid citrus fruits like oranges and lemon - in some it helps

4.look for an allergen- that causes his sneezing to aggravate or start.
5 avoid passive smoking.

By medicines you can try a course of a medicine called Montek LC KID for a period of 1 year .
It contains anti histamine plus a drug to prevent allergy.
You might have tried that earlier as this is widely used in India.

As he grows he will be better.!!

God bless
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Child has runny nose, cough and sneezing problem. Suggest some effective medicine 13 minutes later
Thank you doctor.

We need medical attention for him at the earliest. His condition has been worse for a day or two. How should I proceed?

The local paediatrician adviced an Adenoid examination but when we got that done through an ENT specialist, he found nothing serious. This was about 5 months ago. But his nose continues to run.

Can you advice the next course of action kindly?

Thank you again for the prompt reply. We will immediately try the kit you recommend, till we visit a doctor with him.

Sincerely yours,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 16 minutes later
Hi ,
Don't worry.
If the ENT doctor ruled out adenoid ,it' s good!
If you are not happy with the pediatrician, go to another pediatrician for a second opinion.

You can start him on any plain antihistamine syrup like levocetrizine once a day 2.5 milligrams at bed time.

Get him examined by a local doctor first.

The drug which I mentioned is to be used as preventive and not curative!( that is once he has illness the doctor has to decide what other treatment he needs)

No need for antibiotics frequently in allergy!

Good luck
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Child has runny nose, cough and sneezing problem. Suggest some effective medicine 1 hour later
Wonderful sir.

Thanks a ton. I have started fixing up the appointment with the doctor.

How much I wish I were in Chennai! We could immediately have consulted you.
Moreover, with kids Bangalore has a fragile weather.

Thank you again.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your comments.
He will be fine - don't worry.
Yes , I agree with you! Bangalore weather is bad for people with allergy esp the parthenium there.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma