Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Child has red rashes around mouth. Not cured by antibiotic. Any effective cure?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9332 Questions
Hi there. My son has a red bumpy rash around his mouth. We have taken him to his doctor four times, been on antibiotics twice, and a few rounds steroid cream. Hasn't gotten any better. Closest appointment for the Dermatologist is end of March, looking for advice... He also has two or three pimply looking sores on his nose which may or may not be related but have not healed.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later

Sorry for being sensitive but I dont get why did your doctor prescribe antibiotics. Antibiotics are the last medicines which should be used for rashes. Was some bacteria confirmed? Was there some puss discharge or fever? If not then this is not bacterial infection? This is more allergic reacton or skin irritation. It is treated by avoiding allergenes(you need to find them) and by applying local cream. Antihistamine or antiinflammatory creams should be used. If this is not helpful the skin biopsy needs to be done to rule out some skin disorders.
I ve seen photo. It looks to me like some kind of dermatitis(allergic,contact,Seborrheic) dont apply to much steroids, it can cause steroid dermatits. Try to find cause in food, clothes, cosmetics. Dont let your child to lick around mouth.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor