Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Child has pneumonia, fever and cough. What is medicine for her?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 662 Questions
,my daugther have phemonia and makes her fever what is the good medicine should i give for her ?shes always coughing and fever
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for the query,

well,Treatment for pneumonia in children starts with identifying the cause. Pneumonia can be bacterial, viral or fungal. Mycoplasma pneumoniae, a macroscopic organism that is similar to bacteria, can also cause the illness. The child's doctor will perform a thorough physical exam to determine the cause prior to prescribing treatment. This will include a chest X-ray and blood tests. Sometimes mucus testing is required. If the cause cannot be determined, the doctor will likely treat the pneumonia as a bacterial infection.

For some children with mild pneumonia, doctors prescribe no medical treatment. The body simply must fight the infection on its own. Bacterial and mycoplasma pneumonia are treated with antibiotics. Symptoms caused by bacterial infections often clear up just a few days after starting antibiotics, and many parents forget to continue giving their children the medicine. Physicians caution against this, as stopping antibiotics too early can cause a repeat infection. This also leads to strains of the bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.

Viral pneumonia cannot be treated with antibiotics. In severe cases, doctors may prescribe a child an antiviral medication, but viral cases are typically treated with rest and fluids, giving the child's body a chance to fight the infection on its own. Fungal cases of pneumonia are treated using antifungal medications.

Hope, this answer will help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor