Child has pale face, lazy eye, cold hands and arms. What could be causing this?

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hi - What could be causing my 25 month old's sudden onset of symptoms - but no fever? Extremely irritable screaming, crying; cold arms/legs, hands/feet - when i give her motrin she immediately shows improvement and starts acting like her normal self.

Yesterday morning she was extremely cranky - screaming and crying when she got up from bed (totally uncharactaristic) - after an hour of this i gave her Motrin. Almost 5 minutes later she started calming down and became herself again. She ate and drank well all day, no evidence of fever (I didn't take it - body felt normal temp). Wetting diapers normally, however no bowel movement yesterday. When she got up from her nap, about an hour before first dose of motrin was scheduled to wear off, her arms/legs and hands/feet were cool to the touch and she seemed chilled. Her face was pale and her eyes seemed weak. I covered her with blanket and then she became irritable and cranky as she did that morning. I gave her more motrin and, again within 5 minutes she showed marked improvement and seemed fine the rest of the evening.

I am very confused because, to date, she has always had obvious signs of fever and I always confirm via rectal reading that she's running a fever before i give her motrin. This time, however there was no evidence of fever. What could be causing these symptoms?

Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for writing here.

I went through your query in detail. It would be good if you have mentioned about the body temperature this time to rule out fever. Is it only a subjective guess you are making? I suggest you to check the temperature before declaring as having no fever, any temperature above 98.6 F is fever.

Other symptoms like irritability, paleness ,chillness, cold extremities,weakened eyes all are pointing towards fever, and the very fact that she is improving after medication also suggests that she might be running temperature.

I also suggest you to have a note on her urine output (or how many diapers). Any disturbance might suggest UTI as chills are commonly noticed in UTI which you had mentioned in the query.

If you notice new symptoms or if the fever is not controlled within 5 days, kindly follow up or get a pediatrician examine her.

Hope I have cleared your doubts, regards, do follow up.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 3 hours later
Thank you! Next time i will definately take her temperature instead of subjective guess. It's just that every other time it was obvious of her running fever. UTI is not something i considered - I will definately keep a check on that and keep check on her symptoms.

This morning, she's perfectly fine, my normal happy girl.

Thanks for your help!
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 10 hours later
Hi, thanks for the follow up.

It's good to know that your child is back to normal and naughty again.

Do feel comfortable for any further queries, good day, regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E