Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Child has norovirus infection and having frequent vomiting. Symptoms of dehydration?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2105 Questions
I think my daughter has just a case of norovirus. She vomited twice this am. She has a history of being dizzy after s/p 1 year concussion. She is 6 years old. She has had 2 near syncopal episodes in her life and her third one today. She was in the shower and couldn't see. I then eased her to the ground and she vomited bile. Does that sound like she is dehydrated?
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 28 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you give more information about any medicine she has been taking.

You should get following investigations done:-
1. CT (Computed Tomography) or MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) head.
2. ECG (Electrocardiogram).
3. EEG (Electroencephalogram).

If the above investigations are normal, the likely cause seems to be due to Vasovagal attack. It occurs due to decrease in blood supply to the brain leading to unconsciousness. Vomiting, defecation or urination may follow such an attack.

It is not due to dehydration but due to stimulation of vagus nerve and can be related with low blood pressure leading to insufficiency of blood reaching the brain.

Whenever such attack occurs, make her lie down with head end lower and feet slightly raised. This will result in increased supply of blood to the brain.
During vomiting, the body position while lying should be on sides and not straight on back.

You should get her examined by a Neurologist.

I hope this was helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor