Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Child has moderate hydronephrosis in kidney due to uretricobstruction and narrowing of pelvic uretric junction. Suggest?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9587 Questions
when my son is five year old there is moderate hydronephrosis is noted in the right kidney due to uretericobstruction.t renal pelvis is dilated and there is abrupt narrowing at pelvic uretreic junction. then he got operated for puj obstruction removal then doctor said that there will be no puj obstruction but after one year also the scanning report it showing abrupt narrowing at pu junction and mild hydronephrosis on right side of the kidney please clarify my dought is there still any problem
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your son had PUJ obstruction.

Detailed Answer:


Thanks for your query.

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your six years old son had congenital Pelvi Ureteric Junction (PUJ) obstruction and was operated for Pyeloplasty to repair the defect .

You have recently repeated his IVP one year after syrgery which shows abrupt narrowing at PUJ.with mild hydronephrosis of the collecting system.

Normally hydronephrosis that develops due to incomplete drainage of urine from renal pelvis in to ureter due to obstruction is the main concern in treatment of this condition and during the surgery the narrowed obstructed portion of the ureter is excised and continuity of the ureter is restored.

The size of the renal pelvis being large compared to the size of the ureter it may show abrupt narrowing but since the hydronephrosis has reduced from moderate to mild after surgery , you should not worry at all.
It will become normal over a period of few more years as the child grows.

You can post me photographs of IVP films taken both before and after surgery to make me comments in detail.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor