Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Child has lower jaw in front instead of upper causing impaired speech and changes in face. Best treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 393 Questions
Dear Doctor,

My kid is suffering from having lower jaw front instead of upper jaw front. Because of this his face shape is changing and his speech is also not clear. His age is 5.5ys. Please suggest me the best treatment for him.

Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 47 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us,
I will be glad to answer your query Sir,
First of all, I would like you to know that a child gets his jaw size and shape from one of his parents and teeth size and form from his other parent.
When a lower jaw sits forward to the maxillary jaw, we call it a class III skeletal jaw relationship. Your child is very young and I feel you should wait until he is 11-12 years of age, But for now you can take him to either an oral surgeon or an orthodontist for a check-up.
In such cases, treatment involves application of braces and extra-oral appliances to push the lower jaw back and in severe cases a jaw surgery is performed.
For the speech, as the child grows speech usually becomes clear on its own.
Do not worry just visit a dental surgeon for a dental check-up,

I hope i answered your query,
You can post your further questions here, I will be glad to answer them,
I wish you and your son good health,
take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor