Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Child has lower back pain. What test should be done to diagnose the problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
my 12 yr old daughter complains everyday of lower back pain. our gp has assessed her but really has no anwsers. should i just accept this and continue to manage with pain relief every day or push for futher tests and if so what tests are going to give us anwsers?? thankyou XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
Low backache in 12 year old is not very common. Being an uncommon age of presentation makes more sense to investigate her in detail. A MRI scan of whole spine and C-reactive protein, ESR, Anti Nuclear Antibody and Rheumatoid Factor are certain blood tests which should be done in such cases. If all these tests come out normal, then even psychological causes can be suspected as it is an unusual age of presentation. All said, coming to your question proper, Yes, she should be investigated in detail and you should push for these tests.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor