Child has low platelets. Prescribed Zentel. Is it the right medicine?

Dr. Synthyia Bhagat

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Question: hi,
i went to see a doctor because my kids 5 years has low platelets 0000 , the dr. thing may ITP but he gave her Zentel 10ml once daily . ist the Zaentel the right medicine
thank you
YYYY@YYYY

hi,
the Dr said everything are normal about the CBC only PLT is 0000
so should i worry or no
also there are some Bruises her legs and only 1 or 2 on her arms
so need your advise please
thank you
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

I understand your concern.

Thrombocytopenia could be due to:

-Increased destruction of platelets
-Decreased production
-Splenic sequestration of platelets.

Thrombocytopenia in a healthy child with normal white cell count and red blood cell count almost results from ITP.
Acute thrombocytopenia is self-limiting and counts of 0000 are not a cause of worry.
Treatment needs not to be given until platelet count is above 0000.

-Regular monitoring of platelet count is necessary.
-I also suggest you to do dengue serology
-BT,CT and Hb needs to be monitored
-Also see if bruises increase in number or size.
Be in regular follow up with your pediatrician.

Regarding zentel, it can be given afterwards .There is no correlation between deworming and platelet count.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your child good health.
God bless.!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
thank yo a lot for your concern and answer
regarding I also suggest you to do dengue serology.
how because we noticed this bruises more than 3 weeks and sometimes disappear afterward appear again that's why we checked with the Dr. again
by the way my wife and I got the Dengue fever 2 weeks ago
i hope its just dengue
thank you
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 14 minutes later
Hi.

Thanks for your follow up.

Since you and your wife had dengue 2 weeks ago, your child also had bruises 3 weeks ago; there is possibility that your child also has dengue fever. But since there are no other symptoms like fever/ rash / generalized body pains/nausea or vomiting ITP seems to more likely cause.

Relax, in either case need not to worry.
Give your child plenty of fluids and nutritious diet to maintain nutrition and increase immunity.
Also, do not give any medication without consulting your doctor.

Take care...

Follow up: Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 29 hours later
hi again
thank you again and again
can you please recommend me any special food for her to increase PLT
thank
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 27 minutes later
Hi

Thanks again
You should give a balanced diet to your child.
Give food items XXXXXXX in vitamin k which helps in increasing platelet count like-broccoli, sprouts, spinach, cauliflower, lettuce.
Give fruits like papaya, apples, berries, oranges.
Whole grains like whole wheat product, soy proteins, whole grain cereals are XXXXXXX source of antioxidants.

Avoid fried, processed food and all kind of junk food.

God bless!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan