Child has frequent loose motion. Diagnosed with throat infection. What is the cause and cure?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My son is six yrs old and he has been suffering from loose motions since the last month. The frequency is three to four motions per day and he suffers pain while passing stool. The local pedatrician has said that he has throat infection and that this throat infection reaches his stomach and is causing him the stomach infection. He has been taking medicines since the last 15 days. he has taken five day course of O2; Aziter ;Maxtra PDS; Meftal Plus Then the tablets have been changed to Lanzol 15(Lansoprazole);L-Cin (Levofloxacin)and Maxtra PDS (Paracetamol,Phenylephrine Hydrochloride&Chorpheniramine Maleate Syrup) for 10 days. He has taken this course for five days and has to continue for another five days still noremarkable relief. The doctor has said the there is no problem with stomach but due to throat infection and the treatment can take about one month also. please suggest
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 29 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know other associated symptoms along with loose motion.
Does he has any sort of throat discomfort/ cough/ running nose?
What is the type of loose motion? Is it foul smelling?
Is there excessive flatulence along with blood per rectum?

Frequent watery loose motion with abdominal pain is suggestive of viral gastroenteritis.
Throat infection may at times involve the gastro-intestinal tract and may cause above mentioned symptoms.
You should again consult with your treating doctor and get thorough check up of your son.
There may also be possibility of typhoid fever, antibiotic associated diarrhea, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
You should also go for widal test, stool examination (to rule out parasitic infestation).
He should also go for endoscopy with duodenal biopsy along with colonoscopy to rule out antibiotic associated diarrhea and tropical sprue/ celiac sprue/ eosinophilic gastroenteritis.
He should again take complete antibiotic course, anti-spasmodics and probiotics.
He should avoid milk and all milk related products such as cheese, curd, butter.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow up: Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Dear Sir
My reply to your query is
Let me know other associated symptoms along with loose motion:
Does he has any sort of throat discomfort/ cough/ running nose? ticklish(kharash)throat
What is the type of loose motion? Is it foul smelling? No foul smell; Some times watery
Is there excessive flatulence along with blood per rectum? no
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 27 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
There is possibility of throat infection extending up to the gastro-intestinal tract.
Foul smelling with excessive flatulence stools are in favor of viral gastroenteritis.
Still possibility if viral infection can not be ruled out as it is the most common sense of gastroenteritis in children.
You should go for above advised investigation and treatment.
Wishing for a speedy recovery.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava