Child has flu symptoms, coughing, sneezing, thick mucus and running nose. Should I take him to hospital?
XXXXXXX is my child that gets everything, wierd illnesses that none of my other children come done with. In the past he had a illness that caused him to seep blood from his gumline for 3 days. The doctors said he had hand, foot and mouth although he never presented with the rash on his palms and feet and had no sores in his mouth at all. Also, none of the other children around him came down with it, including my other children in the home. This is just one example of his pasthealth history.
My question is, should I wait until Wednesday to take him back in or should I take him to Children's hospital?
Thanks for posting your query.
Generally speaking, Henoch Schonlein purpura(HSP) is a benign disease in which children usually have a single episode which lasts 3 weeks. The rash typically appears in crops with new crops appearing every few days.
Your son does have signs and symptoms suggestive of HSP
You can comfortably wait until Wednesday to get him examined by a paediatrician. However, it is important to note the following:
1. Ensure that your son remains adequately hydrated. Give him plenty of fluids and a well balanced, nutritious diet.
2. Monitor for any abdominal or renal complications:
a. Abdominal complications would typically present with severe abdominal pain, abdominal tenderness (pain on touching the abdomen), blood in the stools, black colored stools or blood in the vomitus.
b. Renal complications would typically present with a decrease in the urine output (which means that your son would start passing little or no urine).
3. Give your son a bland diet preferably.
If your son has any of the above complications, please take him to the emergency room immediately. If there are no complications, you can comfortably wait till Wednesday to get him evaluated.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further follow up queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Swine flu symptoms tremors
- Flu symptoms shivering at night
- Flu symptoms numbness in hands
- Flu symptoms but not flu scalp
- Cold running nose productive cough sneezing allergy symptoms
- Hives flu symptoms elevated liver tests coughing
- Flu and swine flu symptoms
- Flu symptoms groin lump
- Child with fever stomach pain and constipation flu symptoms
- Swine flu symptoms tingling nose sneezing