Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Child has fever, sour taste in mouth, body pain, sleeping. Looking for advice

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
strange symptoms from my 4 year oldI have a 4 and a half year old has had a fever for 2 days now. The highest has been 103. That isn't what's bothering me. What is bothering me is that she says her body hurts and everything I give her to eat "tastes sour". I even tried her favorite treat, a chocolate popsicle, and she said it tasted sour and wouldn't eat it. Yesterday she voluntarily took a nap, something she fights against like it is torture. she slept for 4.5 hours. She has never had the body aches and sour taste complaints before, so I'm looking for some advice.

Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 6 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I do understand your concern. In my opinion, it is the fever and relative inactivity which needs more attention. Taste often gets altered when children get sick and the sour taste she complains about is most probably because of that. However, it could also be due to other reasons like gastroesophageal reflux or even a problem in the teeth.
I would like to know if she has been excessively sleepy, or is having any cold, cough or any other symptoms that you might think are unusual.
I would want you to give her paracetamol for the fever at the dose of 15mg/kg repeated 4-6 hourly. This will bring down the fever. If the inactivity still persists for a few more days, please see a physician. An examination followed by a lumbar puncture may be required. We would be looking to rule out any infection like meningitis or encephalitis.
Awaiting your reply.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor