Child has fever, sore back and sore stomach. What is the problem?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Question: My 3 yr old has a sore back and stomach with a fever and is thirsty
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Welcome to HCM!

Does he have fever?
Does he have vomiting or cough and cold?

A sore back and stomach can be from viral infections!
Usually it will be followed by fever.
Thirst may be from fever.
Thirst of significance associated with frequently passing urine can be from diabetes ( though rare in kids it can happen).

You can use Paracetamol syrup or tablet for a day till the picture becomes more clear!
Look for associated symptoms .

God bless
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 14 minutes later
Her breath is a bit smelly and she is quite sleepy. Could it be tonsillitis ?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 21 minutes later
It can be upper respiratory infection which includes tonsillitis.
Give her more fluids .
Tonsillitis is usually associated with throat pain ,refusal of food and high fever.
You have to show her to the doctor to rule out strep throat!
Dr UR