Child has fever, cough and leg pain. What is causing the increase in TLC count?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hi My sister 's son who is 3.5 years old had fever for one week now doctor suggested his TLC count which is 0000 and he has cough and complaing about leg pain ..please can you suggest what cna be cause of this increase in TLC count?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 25 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!

TLC of 0000 means the total white blood cell ( called leukocyte)count is high.
By itself it is not specific.

One should know the differential count which is usually given underneath.

If the neutrophils are high in percentage( above 70%) in this child it suggests bacterial infection.
If the lymphocytes are high above 30-35% it suggests viral infection.

If eosiniphils are high it usually suggests allergy.

Whenever fever is prolonged more that 3-4 days ,doctors do this test to decide whether it is viral infection or bacterial infection.
If bacterial infection,they have to start the child with antibiotics.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 hours later
Thanks for answering doctor...

He had fever around for 8 days..

His tests is as follows:

TLCcount:0000
neutrophils :30%
lymphocytes :65%

Doctor is not able to find any specific infection but still they say that it is some insfection and giving anti biotic..please can you suggest what can it cause and what next action we should take here .

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 54 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

The result is suggestive of viral infection.
However in view of the prolonged fever in a child they have given antibiotics.
In case the fever continues they have to do other tests like typhoid,etc,
By the way where are you from?
Is it USA?( I noted your IP address)

I am asking this question because the cause of fever varies from country to country.!

God luck
God bless
Dr Uma

Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 4 minutes later
Thanks Doctor ..i am from usa ..but this is my sister's son and she is in inidia..
Doctor i am worred a lot about is it any sign of any blood cancer..
he has lot cough also..
Thanks a lot once again.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 15 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

If the child is in India, and if the fever has not subsided they have to test for

1 dengue fever
2 typhoid
3 X-ray chest and mantoux test for pneumonia and tuberculosis

Do not worry Kuldeep!
Now all over India lot of viral fevers and other fevers like malaria and dengue are there.

Blood cancer is a very very remote possibility.
This blood count is not going with blood cancer!!!!

Pray and be positive!
I wish the child speedy recovery!

Dr Uma

Thanks Doctor.
I will update you once he recovers..

Best Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
OK ,thanks!
Bye
Dr Uma