Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Child has excess hair growth all over body. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 393 Questions
sir, i have a daugh@ter o3 years who has lot of unwanted body hair
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 21 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

There is no precise definition as to what can be called an 'excess' hair growth on the body. The perception varies from person to person. Most people refer to noticeable hair growth in the body, under the arms or in the pubic area.

If your daughter has this kind of hair growth, you may have her undergo some blood tests to determine whether the growth is being caused by a hormonal imbalance.

However, in most cases this is due to genetics. Either parents or some member of the family usually has a history of thick/ dense hair growth which the child inherits.
If this is true of you, I do not think there is anything to worry about.

I will be happy to answer any follow up query you have.

Best Wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor