Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Child has constipation, pain. Scared to pass stools. What medicine can I try in the U.S.A?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1976
Answered : 1872 Questions
Hello Doctor my 19 months old daughter is having issues with bowel movement, she does not got for poo for 3-4 days and then after that she has a tight bowel movement and gets some pain and hence she is scared to do poo . Currently I am in USA till 25th September, could you please let me know the medicine that I can try here in US and the frequency of giving that medicine.
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thanks for your query on XXXXXXX

I can understand the problem that your daughter is passing through when passing stools once in 3-4 days.

Basically, constipation is a nutritional issue. Apart from giving her immediate relief you need to ensure that constipation does not occur. For this you need to cut down on food made out of refined flour. You need to increase fruits (preferably with skin), vegetables and whole grain cereals in her diet. Intake of prunes, raisins will also help your daughter regulate her bowel habit.

For immediate relief, you can insert glycerin suppository or any medicate suppository like Dulcolax Pediatric Suppository daily for two to three days for the hard stools to be cleared till the above mentioned food items have their effect. You can supplement it with Isabgol husk, if available there.

Wishing your daughter relief from this issue. Let me know if you have other enquiries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor