Child has congested chest, dry cough, mild fever and started teething. Suggest some medicine

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hello,

My Son is 1. Since he was 3 months old he has had 3 bouts of chest congestion where he needed to be on an antibodic. The last one being 3 weeks ago. 5 days ago he started with a dry cough, that has now turned into a really XXXXXXX chesty cough. I took him to the drs on Monday, which confirmed he has congestion in his lungs. He has had mildfevers ranging from 100.6 to 101, easyily goes away with Motrin. He also has upper and lower molars coming in. Our dr didn't think the congestion was an infection and gave us Clartin and neublizer to use. None have worked, we called her today and she said to continue to use the neublizer, we are very concerned as the cough is not getting any better and getting worse. Our son does not want to eat or drink much. Should we push for an antiboditic? Our dr does not want to give him one because he was just on it and feels he has been on antibodtics too much already ( 3 times already) need advise, we are very worried.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The gradual worsening of the cough and refusal to feed are likely to be related to an infection in the throat. Such cases do need antibiotics for proper relief. The medicines he is currently taking would have decreased the further worsening in case it would have been a viral infection.
A throat swab culture will help in detecting the type of infection he is having. Chest X-ray is also recommended to rule out pneumonia in case the cough persists for more than 2 weeks.
You need to consider going to his pediatrician for a re evaluation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.