Child has chest congestion, cough. Used Asthalin. Is sleeping continuously a side effect of Asthalin?

Posted on Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Question: My daughter of 15 month age, 10KG is suffering from chest congestion and cough. I have gone with Nebulization using Asthalin 2.5ml respules. Doctor advised to use 3/4th of the tube but I used full tube as she was not inhaling it properly. I nebulized her once around 11am and then again at 4 pm. But since morning she is not taking any food (Just taking Breast Feed) and is sleeping continuously. I amd also continuing with some Homeopathy medicine for cough. While discussion Homeopathy doctor confirmed there is no sedation due to his medicine. Hence I wanted to confirm is this the side effect of "Asthalin".
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 1 hour later
hi
thanks for the query
Asthalin contains sulbutamol drug which dose in children is 2.5ml thrice daily. the major adverse effects of this drug are dose related which occurs when inappropriate dose is given. 2cc of asthalin is mixed with 3cc of normal saline and then used for nebulisation. the major side effect of the drug is insomnia (loss of sleep) however dizziness may occur. the cause continuous sleeping of child may be fever due to take her to you consultant to check for chest infection as she me require antibiotic treatment. meanwhile use the asthalin solution as advised by the doctor and along with asthalin you can also use ipratropium solution 20mcg (1cc) along with asthalin solution as they combined have better effects.
feel free to contact for further queries
thanks
Dr. M Ishfaq Habib
Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib