Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Child has bilateral mastoid air cells, prominent at posterior parietal region. Is her development delayed?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10454 Questions
Hello please could youhelp by answering my question my daughter has fluid in bilateral mastoid air cells and prominent at posterior parietal region near the vertex bilaterally please could you hel my by telling me if it could be treated my child is delayed in her development please do reply I'm waiting very anxiously thankyou my name is shabreen nawa my email is shaz0000@ WWW.WWWW.WW
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Fluid in bilateral mastoid air cells can be due to infection of the mastoid air cells. It is usually associated with symptoms like ear pain, discharge, fever, swelling and redness behind the ear, etc. In the absence of any such symptoms it is difficult to say whether the finding of MRI scan is significant or not. The infection can be easily treated with the help of appropriate antibiotics.

The scan results do not explain the delay in developmental milestones your daughter is having.
Regardless, consulting with your ENT(Ear nose throat) physician is a good first step. Scans alone don't necessarily answer every problem. Integrating the scan information with a patient's clinical history and physical exam are essential.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor