Child has been advised for tongue tied surgery. What is the procedure and is it safe?

Dr. Santosh Kondekar

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Question: My 1 year old son has been advised by his Pediatrician for Tongue-Tied surgery. I wanted to understand that whether this is done by Surgeons or Pediatricians also can conduct this. How long is the surgical procedure and how long does it take to recover or heal up.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 28 hours later
Brief Answer: its short n easy procedure. Detailed Answer: Tongue tie is a smal tag of inner skin that keeps tongue stuck to mouth floor. Though a skilled pediatrician may be able to do it. A surgeon will do it with finesse. Its safe surgery and takes few minutes and usually may not need hospitalisation or serious anesthesia. earliest you do it... lesser the chances of speech affection. thanks. Feel free to ask any further query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor. Is it necessary to get this operated. Doesn't it get sorted on its own. I am more worried that child will not be practically be able to eat for next few days.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: its safe and often necessary Detailed Answer: If the child is not able to take tongue out to touch lips.. definitely it is must. Dont worry about feeding after surgery... it doesn't have much hassles. It is a very minor surgery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Santosh Kondekar 9 hours later
Hi Doctor, He is able to take his tongue out and touch his lips without any extra effort. Should we go for second opinion in this case then.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: yes. Detailed Answer: Yes. Go for it. If he can lick both upper lips and lower lips... he may not need surgery. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad