Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Child has bay foot problem, using splint. Does baby need operation? Any other way to treat it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1982
Answered : 698 Questions
bay foot problem , my baby is 20 month but still doesnt put his down on the floor , we try with splint and differnt streches but it doesnt efect that much , he put his left feet down but not righ feet , dr. says he has some tight calf or muscle , his leg is not short than other leg . i m confuse d , he can stand with two feed put on the floor but he can stay stright means he stay bit band from leg wne he put his both feet down , dr,. says if not efect from wearing splint and than they conduct operation and replace or add tissue on , do u think baby need operation at age of 20 month and any other technology without operation we can get result , if we would do operation than baby can live normal life during whole life ,
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 3 hours later
Dear AAAA,

Thank you for posting your query. From the way the doctors have put forward their advice, it appears that there is some inequality between the legs, though it may not be readily apparent to a lay person (like you, for example). The doctors have probably ruled out (excluded) all neurological causes other than the tight tendon at the back of the leg on opne side. The operation will involve releasing that tight tendon or muscle as the case may be, and after a period of observation and plastering lasting 2-3 months, your son should become completely normal.

However, I think you should rely on the doctor and continue using the splint till he decides whether it has been helpful or not. Do not try to rush into a surgery. It may be that he may get cured with just splinting.

I cannot think of any third way to solve the problem, sorry.

With best wishes and warm regards for your child,

Dr. Taher
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor