Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Child has a hole in ear with greenish discharge. On siprogut and antibiotic. Asked to avoid contact with water

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12668 Questions
My son is 8 and has been diagnosed with having a hole in his ear. for the past 3 years his ear has had a smelly greenish discharge coming from it, on and off. İ have been advised that water must not penetrate the ear at all, no cotton buds etc.. he lives on siprogut ear drops and sometimes antibiotics, in between. What can i do to stop this? i am tol an op may be needed but he is too young. i just want it to stop now..please advise
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your description it seems that your son is having Chronic Suppurative Otitis Media.
The main treatment is to avoid all sources of infection in the ear canal so that the ear discharge stops and allows the ear membrane to heal spontaneously. You are already taking care of all the preventive measures needed.
In case there is no spontaneous healing then surgical treatment is recommended.
Kindly get him examined by a ENT Specialist so that he/she may examine him and rule out the cause. The Doctor may also run few tests like,

1.) Blood work.
2.) Tuning fork evaluation, to rule out if he has a sensorineural or conduction deafness
3.) Tympanometry.
4.) Audiology exam.

Once the cause is confirmed, he will be treated accordingly.

In addition to the medications, follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Keep the ear dry while it's healing, Place a silicone earplug or cotton ball coated with petroleum jelly in the ear when showering or bathing.
2.) Refrain from cleaning the ears.
3.) Avoid blowing the nose.
4.) Stick to the treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor