Child had urinary infection, advised DMSA scan. What are the interpretation of report?
Both kidneys are have normal function .
Thanks for your query.
Based on the facts and reports of yours 9 months old baby girl that you
have posted it appears that she has UTI twice during the last three months and treating Paediatrician has advised to get her DMSA scan done.
The DMSA scan is a nuclear medicine study done to assess the kidney function and damage (Scarring) of the renal paranchyma by any congenital abnormality especially Vesico Ureteric Reflux(VUR) which is the most common cause of UTI in paediatric age group.
The report that you have posted is normal and there is no evidence to suggest any functional or anatomical abnormality.
Please do not worry and treat her with appropriate antibiotics as per advice of your paediatrician.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Thanks for ur reply. I have few more doubts. I didnt understand the following sentence "cortical tracer uptake with heterogenous tracer distribution and no cold areas." Please explain it in simple terms. And also please suggest us some home remedies to treat urinary infection in future. My baby is 9 months old, but weighing only 6.4 kg and 64 cm in height. Is it normal for her age? Thanks in advance.
Better consult Pediatrician
Thanks for follow up. On injecting DMSA, it gets circulated evenly in the cortex of the kidney. This is termed as tracer uptake. In case of any abnormality or in presence of renal damage, it is is not heterogeneous but shows uneven distribution with absence of the drug in a diseased area, what is called as cold area.
As regards to her weight, Pediatrician will be best person to address your query.
Thanks and Regards.
It could be bacterial contamination...
Thanks for follow up.
It could be a bacterial contamination due to contamination of cloths or dippers. Please observe proper hygiene by cleaning her genital with warm water every time she passes urine.
Continue antibiotic prescribed by your paediatrician.
Thanks and Regards.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Corynebacterium diphtheriae urinary infection
- Medicine cream for urinary infection
- It is vaginal infection or urinary infection
- What is the cure for urinary infection
- Urinary infection hiccups
- What is the treatment for recuuring urinary infection
- What causes stomachache after a urinary infection
- What are the possible treatment for severe urinary infection
- What causes urinary infection after a hysterectomy
- Urinary infection and yeast infection
- Fatty mass found on kidney during lumbar MRI. Is this serious?
- Have redness on penis and getting irritation during urination. Any...
- Getting sunburn on back and swelling on foreskin. What is the disease...
- Noticed white specks in urine. What could it be?
- Addicted to masturbation. Noticed black spot on penis head and downward...
- Had unprotected oral sex. Getting soft erection with fever, sore throat...
- Frequent urge to urinate with little urine. Noticed spotting. Should I...
- Have sore and red scrotum. What treatment should be done?
- Have lower abdominal pain, recurrent kidney stones. Urinalysis done....
- Found blood in urine. Urine analysis done. What are the findings?