Child had sexual and physical abuse. Belly button is red and irritated, experiencing pain. Should I be concerned?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 2 year old son recently went thru trauma. About 8 weeks ago when i got
Him back from his dad he had evidence of sexual an physical abuse. For the past few weeks, his belly button has been red and irritated. For the past couple days he is experiencing pain? Should i be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 54 minutes later

I am sorry to hear about the abuse part. Hope you and your son is coping with the stress.
The rash over the belly button area may not be connected. However I cannot be so sure without seeing it. You have an option of uploading a photo on the right side of your query page, please make use of it.
Is there itching over the area?
Is there any blister or wound over the area?
Is there any foul smelling discharge coming from the belly button?
Did you apply any new creams or products on his skin ?
Did he while playing insert something into belly button as children his age usually do that ?
Belly button area is a common site for irritant or allergic contact dermatitis, and fungal and bacterial infections. So all you know it might be something simple. Nevertheless if you can furnish more details including a picture it will help.
So, waiting for your reply.
Wish you and your family good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Johny Chacko


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 1916 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Contact dermatitis

doctor1 MD

My daughter has a rash that will not go away. Hydrocortisone cream does not help. At first we thought this was contact dermatitis from soap, but...

doctor1 MD

My son has an itchy red rash on his earlobes. It's been here for 2 weeks. 3 weeks ago, he had rash on lower right leg. Looked like poison ivy....

doctor1 MD

Rash has appeared on both legs. Over the course of one month, there are time the rash appears to be getting and then there are time it appear to...

doctor1 MD

I have a rash on my right forearm that itches terribly. There are also spots that are bright red where the skin has come off. I have tried creams...

doctor1 MD

Hi For the past week or so my fingers, in between my thumb it’s red and my next finger it’s red on the side and my middle finger its red on the...

doctor1 MD

Dermatology......raised wheals on scalp that itch like crazy; with scratching, can scab over and are slow to heal. Now same problem emerging...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, Please suggest what oitment can be used. Please see attached. Thanks!!

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

192 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction