Child had sexual and physical abuse. Belly button is red and irritated, experiencing pain. Should I be concerned?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 2 year old son recently went thru trauma. About 8 weeks ago when i got
Him back from his dad he had evidence of sexual an physical abuse. For the past few weeks, his belly button has been red and irritated. For the past couple days he is experiencing pain? Should i be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 54 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

I am sorry to hear about the abuse part. Hope you and your son is coping with the stress.
The rash over the belly button area may not be connected. However I cannot be so sure without seeing it. You have an option of uploading a photo on the right side of your query page, please make use of it.
Is there itching over the area?
Is there any blister or wound over the area?
Is there any foul smelling discharge coming from the belly button?
Did you apply any new creams or products on his skin ?
Did he while playing insert something into belly button as children his age usually do that ?
Belly button area is a common site for irritant or allergic contact dermatitis, and fungal and bacterial infections. So all you know it might be something simple. Nevertheless if you can furnish more details including a picture it will help.
So, waiting for your reply.
Wish you and your family good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist