Child had itchy red bumps on belly, got better with cream but broke out behind knees. Chicken pox?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in General Health
Question: My 6 year old son has had small red bumps that are itchy on his belly. Weve put cream on them for a few days seems a bit better but today he broke out behind his knee. Wondering if its just heat rash. Def not chicken poxs. Hes had all his vaccines that canada requires and since i have had chicken poxs years ago i know what it looks like. Any ideas? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It would be interesting to know if she has any fever, if any other person or your immediate neighbours or friends present with similar symptoms or not. It s great that she has all her vaccines.

For sure what you describe does not really look like chicken pox for sure. Red itchy bumps in the stomach, of acute onset the responds to creams, probably would either be a viral or allergic condition. Bacterial skin diseases generally have bumps containing pus, and generally cause fever. Some viral infections might not cause fever. A fungal infection is also another possibility. The content of the cream could be important also to be known.

The fact that is has started spreading to other areas might imply either the spread of the causative agent or the inappropriateness of the treatment option.
Simple measures like washing her dressings and bedding, getting them ironed before she puts them on could help.

However, it might better to get a clear picture of the lesions and prescribe appropriate drugs, in the right doses for better efficacy. Personally i do not think its a very serious health condition. Hygiene coupled with a good appropriate cream should be sufficient. Creams generally containing a steroid, an antifungal and antibiotics , all in one are widely available for such non specific non severe conditions. Topical Positon and Candiderme creams could be very useful, Persistence of symptoms should however serve as an alert to consult your pediatrician.

Thanks and kind regards. Wishing her good health.

Bain LE, MD.