Child had MRI done. Report indicated Gliosis which cannot be cured. Can stem cell therapy help?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: could you please tell me the meaning of this MRI scan done to 1.5 years old baby : "Gliosis in bilateral parietal, occiptal and frontoparietal region with altered signal intensity in the adjacent subcortical white matter, extended capsule & posterior limb of internal capsule hypoxic ischemic brain injury sequelae". The Doctor said this is cannot be cured. As the baby grows and if the genes changes, there are chances, otherwise no chance. Would like to know if stem cell therapy can be used in this case. Is there any other better alternative.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please send some images if possible Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Gliosis in bilateral parietal, occipital and fronto parietal regions means that the brain tissue has degenerated due to lack of oxygen, probably during delivery. Under such circumstances, it is advisable to consult a pediatric neurologist and closely observe the brain development in such children. Though I have read through the report of MRI scan, I would like to see any images that you may have, just images from one plate are enough. You can request any doctor to allow you to put films on light box and take pictures with digital camera. I would like to know of the birth problems faced during delivery and if there was a delay in first cry of the baby. Concerning stem cell therapy, there are a lot of experiments going on in this field and most of them are new in India. I would like to know how is the baby developing so far and his milestones, if he has started standing and walking. Waiting for updates from your end. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 26 minutes later
Thanks Doctor XXXXXXX Problems during the Delivery: They were in Twins. However, we were informed by the gynecologist that one of the two child died 2 days before the delivery could actually take place. The second baby [The child about whom we are discussing] could only survive. They were no delay in the first cry of the baby. Regarding the Images, I shall give you once i receive the same from my doctor. Baby development and milestone: The Baby do not turn [In reverse, so that it can creep]However, the baby, by applying lot of force by itself, turns somestimes. Hence it has not started sitting/standing/walking. The baby do move itself. It do not catches the toys by hand. It do makes sound and recognises its mother and other relatives.Baby find it difficult to turn its hand behind and makes its body stiff if we do it. Would like to know how far is it possible that by passage of time, the baby will recover automatically. Further, as highlighted by you that the stem cell therapy is new in india, would like to know if the technology is developed overseas to cure such disease?? Is there any developments so far in india which can help out to cure this disease.??
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You are welcome and thanks for writing in to us. From the details of delivery and development during infancy, I find that there is a significant impairment in the milestones achieved by the child. Concerning technological development in the field of stem cell transplantation in children suffering from hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, there is a technique known as "Umbilical cord blood mononuclear cell transplantation". Research is still on for the last few years and any commercialization of treatment requires ethical and medical clearance and establishment of patient safety and benefits. Also, the same treatment in different patients will show variable outcomes. Talking about such newer developments in India, I may suggest that you consult Dr. Dr. Venkataramana N. K., Vice-Chairman (BGS Global Hospitals), Director - Global Neuro Science & Spine Institute at Bangalore. Please note that I am in no way associated with BGS Global Hospitals or Dr.Venkataramana N. K. and this information is being provided as requested by you. Though I am not fully sure how close it may get you towards any possible treatment, I do hope you will get some guidance on the status of stem cell therapy in brain disorders available in India. You may approach Global Hospitals, Chennai for further information. Hope your query is answered. Do write back with updates. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 37 hours later
Thanks a lot for your guidance. Based on the MRI Scan report, what level of chances do you feel that the patient will be able to recover. That apart, is there any other therapy that can help out. [Patient is already been given health excercise therapy suggested by the doctors]. Is the damage very severe or is it mild??? As the age grows, is it possible that the would get healed by passage of time??
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You are welcome and thanks for your update. In my opinion the brain damage in the child is moderate to severe. However I am just going by the report findings and imagining the areas affected and the extent. I have come across children and adults whose one half of the brain is severely damaged but yet they are near normal in their neurological outlook and also see patients with absolutely no structural changes who show profound mental deterioration. So saying that the child in concern will get healed completely by passage of time would be an exaggeration but you can hope to make the child independent by teaching the baby early rehabilitation and keeping regular appointments with therapists. The baby is in the earliest stage of growth and development and this is a good situation for intervention and management. Hope your query is answered. Do write back with updates. Regards, Dr.Vivek