Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Child got sunburn and bumps after shaving hairs on scalp. Will it be cured or should I go for treatment?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 101 Questions
Hello, my husband shaved both of my kids's heads like 3 days prior to going to the beach, my oldest is 7 and my youngest 2 1/2, he shaved his head as well; due to the unusual and new haircut I completely forgot to put sunscreen on their scalp and they all got really bad sunburn; my husband got some sort of bumps all over his scalp, one of them popped and leaked for a whole day and it was a little bit swollen and it went away in a couple of days; my 7 year old's scalp was red and 3 days after going to the beach he woke up with a huge swollen forehead , so bad that it makes his face look completely different, he is not complaining of any pain but I don't know what to give him, since he is 7 and I'm not sure if I should take him to a doctor or if this is going to go away on it's own.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 3 hours later

Thanks for your query.

If your kid suffers from severe blistering, confusion, nausea, vomiting, fainting or dizziness, you should take him to a doctor.

Swelling of the forehead is generally not considered serious or life-threatening and can occur as a result of the sunburn, but one of the most common causes is contact dermatitis, an allergic reaction that occurs when the skin touches a substance it finds irritating.

Do you think his forehead has been in contact with cosmetics or the fabric lining of a hat?

Swelling being still there after Allertec, then it should be the result of the overexposure to the sun and you should use cold compresses or aloe vera gel to the sunburn to soothe the pain. The skin has to regenerate new cells in order to heal the burns, so it will take a few days, but it is not necessary to take him to a doctor.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor