Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Child got scratch on face from a dog. Applied neosporin on it. Worried for broken cheekbone?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10396 Questions
Hi Dr.

My 6 year old daughter was taking our young golden retriever to the car a short while ago. The dog wrapped the leach around her legs and she fell on the side of her face. I have attached a picture. She has stopped crying now and I put some neosporum where the skin was broken. It swollen so I am worried that a bone in her cheek might be broken or chipped. A three hour visit to the local er is a total nightmare for her when she does not feel well. Any advice on how I can be calm or is an xray the only way to get peace of mind
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I have seen the picture attached. It seems to be a soft tissue injury with some XXXXXXX bleeding. The pain could be due to blunt trauma to the bone or soft tissue around it leading to break in capillary blood vessels which in turn give rise to haematoma (internal bleeding and clot). Rest assured it will subside in 2-3 weeks. But if she has a persistent pain, please go ahead and confirm the diagnosis with CT scan after a visit to ER.

Even if there is a fracture, all you have to do now is to allow it to rest. You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.

Haematoma's are very painful. You can take her to your family physician or orthopaedician for a physical examination, tetanus shot, antibiotics and local dressing. The only precaution that you must keep in mind is that it should not get infected (from any other source in body), cause if it does it will turn into an abscess. Do continue with ointment neosporin on the broken skin.

In my opinion, give her a cold compress with douche bag twice a day, ask her to take absolute bed rest, administer anti inflammatory medicines with your physicians advice.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor