Owl Image

Child got head injury and noticed blood coming from nose. Should I be concerned?

General Surgeon
Question
Dear Doctor
My 2 and half year old fell and hit her head on my seven month who was lying on the floor. They both cried and had no signs of concussion. When the 7 month old stopped crying she was fine and still is active curious about everything like always and still laughs. Then I noticed a little blood had come out of her nose which was also runny because she has a cold. It had also stopped blooding. Should I be concerned, she is breast feeding normally.
XXXXXXX
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

The blood coming from the nose is nothing to worry about as long as there is not much of it. If your daughter has not lost her consciousness, the trauma was not so strong. Usually it dose not cause any other complications.
You need to watch her closely for few days and if nausea, vomiting, headaches, seizures, lethargic will appear, you need to visit a doctor. Otherwise your daughter should be fine.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.