Child got head injury. Started diarrhea with vomiting. Should I be worried?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Head Injuries
Question: My 3 year old son banged his head two days ago. He was taken to hospital with a hematoma, but was allowed home straight away as everything seemed ok. He has since had diarrhea a few times, and has just vomited.
Should I be worried about this?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Hi ,
happy new year!
As he has both diarrhea and vomiting ,it is likely to be an unrelated problem like a viral infection.
Watch him for fever
Give enough fluids like water and pedialyte.

Another point is to check whether he is oriented well,not drowsy,and otherwise his usual self ,active and playing in which case again it is not related to his head injury.

Keeps watch on the hematoma size also.
All the best
Dr Uma