Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Child given methadone for severe depression. What is the best option to cure depression?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 1486 Questions
My daughter is on methadone 2 ml a day. The last 2 weeks she has been having severe depression. What should she do and what options for medication can she take to help this depression
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: SSRIs are the best option for her. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! In my opinion, the best option for your daughter would be to start a medicine of the SSRI class (sertraline, escitalopram, fluoxetine etc). This will treat her depression as well as work in her PTSD symptoms as well. SSRIs are both safe and effective and are first line of management for both depression and anxiety. In addition to starting medication, she should try to assess if there is something that is making her depressed and if there is something that can be done to counter it. For example, if she is distressed about a particular event, she would need to change the way she thinks about it. It will not be easy for her but it will help. Cognitive behavior therapy is based on these principles and can be taken up if a therapist is available. She should also try to stick to regular hours and to get adequate sleep. If she can do some exercise daily, it will help. Please let me know if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor