Child getting sensation of bugs crawling on the skin specially at night. Any treatment?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: my son is 10, and he has what he calls bugs crawling on him. and he says that it burns and when he wears his pjs at bedtime he has to take them off. it only really starts at when he goes to bed. i have took him to different doctors and they say its stress! is there any cream?
my son has been feeling this way for a few months.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The sensation of bugs crawling on the skin specially at night is most likely related to anxiety. The other causes may include vitamin B complex deficiency, allergic disorders, hormone imbalance like thyroid problems or bug infestation.
You can try to calm him, start with anti allergic like Benadryl and give him a healthy diet with vitamin B complex supplements for at least two weeks.
Topical application of moisturizing cream like aloe vera gel will be helpful.
In case the symptoms are persistent then do consult a dermatologist for a physical examination to rule out any bug infestation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.