Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Child getting red blotchy rash on cheeks and arms when out in the sun. Any treatment?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
My son gets a red blotchy rash on his cheecks and arms when he is out in the sun.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for posting your query and uploading the image.

This is most likely nothing to worry about! To begin with, please use a good quality sun screen that is to be applied at least 20 minutes before stepping out into the sun in the prescribed quantity as per surface area & reapply each 3-4 hrs at least & if washed off, increased sweating or visit to the pool. The SPF (sun protection factor) will depend on your skin type but an SPF of 50 should suffice & there are good quality sunscreens all over the world.

Personally I recommend the quality of the kids & other sunscreens' from a French manufacturer named BIODERMA. If this still does not help & this problem persists, & /or there is a strong family history of some sort of 'photosensitive' disorder (for eg. porphyria or any other such familial disorder), then please do visit your local dermatologist!

Do hope this has helped allay your anxiety & pointed you in the right directions & if no queries, please do accept my answer. Often I find we dwell too much on the 'rare' entities. This may be a simple matter & let's first address it as such. Cheers & here's wishing the bonny lad the very best!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist & Cosmetologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor