Child fell on back and having pain in tummy around belly button. Could there be any internal injury?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: My 4 year old daughter was misbehaving & on the way to cool down area she dug her nails into my face & under my cheek. I tried to pull her off me as she resisted... then she released and fell hard, butt first, on the floor. Now she is saying her tummy hurts around belly button. She had small bowel movement and slight constipation, then she said she was better. But she is still complaining of tummy pain. Could this be internal injury? She seems fine otherwise.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: This is not usual mechanism how internal organ(unless you hit her into abdomen directly before fall) injury happens and this is probbaly psyhosomatic effect. If she fell on back then there could be possible cocciegal or gluteal contusion and this is nothing serious and no specific treatment is necessary. Just be sure that there is no blood in her stool or some signs such as paleness,dizziness,vomiting or painful stomach on pressure. It seems to be just stomach cramp and it should pass in short time. Just give her enough fluids and easier food(fruit,vegeatbles,milk products) which will stabilize her digestion. If pain persists you should visit pediatrican to rule out some gastroenterologic disorders. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards