Owl Image

Child feeling hot while running and drinking water. Concerned

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
My 3 year old son complains often & suddenly of being "hot, hot, hot" and will run & drink water... It seems to end as suddenly as it starts, but he is my 4th child & I have never had any of my other children complain of such a thing and am growing concerned.
YYYY@YYYY
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 17 minutes later
The commonest cause for such a feeling is dehydration in an active child with fast metabolism who is likely to lose water through insensible losses ( sweat , metabolism etc) .
If it resolves with water intake then I don't think it's worrisome . Just make sure to increase his regular water intake and other fluids Like juices milk fruits etc.
If this complain persists even after that then you might need to consult your doctor to rule out any hormonal disturbance like thyroid or adrenal disorders .
As of now dehydration which is common in young active kids seems to be the most probable cause.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.