Child feeling congested. What cure and medication should be done?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: My 3 month old is very congested. Pediatrician never gave me an answer as to what I could be just that It may be allergies from our cat and/or dog. Directed me to use saline drops and a cool mist humidifier. This has turned into a very wheezy cough and I'm feeling helpless. I dont know what I can do to help him.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Wheezing and congestion in 3 month old could be allergy induced hyperreactiveness of airways or a lower respiratory infection ( mostly viral or sometimes bacterial.
Yes saline nose drops and humidifiers do provide some relief and are appropriately advised . However if the symptoms have persisted more than a week or two then it's advisable to get your child reevaluated to rule out infective cause.
Your doctor might order a chest X-ray , complete blood count , ESR etc to confirm the diagnosis .Accordingly he might start antibiotics ( if needed) .
As of now for symptomatic relief nebulisation with saline or bronchodilator medication might be given depending upon the severity of the congestion and wheezing .
Decongestant antihistamines ( chlorpheniramine) can be tried as a last resort if the cough worsens or persists.
Kindly discuss with your doctor about your anxiety and I'm sure he'll do the needful.
Meanwhile try to avoid close contact of baby with pets as allergies are best prevented than treated . If all conditions are ruled out and allergy is the actual cause then it's best to keep your child away from pets.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.