Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Child fallen from six feet on head and spine. Took IBuprofen. Treatment?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
My son fell from 6ft onto his head and neck, cpsine lateral view xray result stated prominence of soft tissues nasopharynx and oropharynx and prevertebral soft tissues. the radiologist suggested repeat xray, but we were discharged instead. After 2 Dr s mentioned need for CT to rule out a hematoma. Last MD on duty we were at hospital six hrs or more. The last Dr said Oh ITS NORMAL, my kid is chunky and is a normal thing. But Standard of care says do a CT to be sure no hidden injuries exist and a cspine injury should be determined or r/o definitively. What should I do, my son fell 3 days ago and still cannot look up at all. I am giving IBuprofen around the clock but no change
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 39 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

If your son is moving around normally (moving the upper and lower limbs normally), then it excludes a neurological injury to the spinal cord.

He could have possibly sustained a soft tissue contusion along with muscle spasm which might be restricting his neck movements.

Generally,these soft tissue injuries will settle down within 3 weeks with rest, ice compressions, analgesic medications etc. You can apply local painkiller gels also.

An MRI scan is preferable to CT scan to exactly diagnose the soft tissue and bony problems in the cervical spine.

Consult a spine surgeon and follow the advice accordingly.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any more clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor