Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Child fainted, heart racing, had high BP, previously complained of middle abdomen pain. What is causing this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiologist, Interventional
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 192 Questions
8 year old girl, normal in weight has passed out was rushed to the hospital ; her heart was beating so fast immediately lifted out to XXXXXXX Palmer Hospital for children; they have found lower half of her heart blood is beating very fast. She is on a blood pressure pill because she has High Blood Pressure; she has complained about middle stomach pains for over 4 months; family ran blood test came up with nothing wrong; these pains would come and go and di she ever sweat. Help!
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 3 hours later
Thank you for your query.

At 8 years of age, there is usually a secondary cause for the high BP. There are many such causes including diseases of the thyroid gland, adrenal diseases, pheochromocytoma, coarctation of aorta, hyperaldosteronism, kidney related diseases, blockage of arteries to kidney, aortoarteritis, other types of vasculitis, etc.

Depending on a complete history and physical examination, she will need further blood and urine tests, ECG, echo, X-ray and other tests to pinpoint the exact cause for her high BP.

If the heart beat was abnormally fast and she has lost consciousness as a result, it is usually due to a tachyarrhythmia like ventricular tachycardia. ECG taken during the tachycardia should reveal the diagnosis immediately. Treatment for such arrhythmias is usually done on an emergency basis and include DC cardioversion/defibrillation, iv drugs like amiodarone, xylocaine, magnesium, bretylium etc (depending on the exact arrhythmia).

If there is any ECG showing the arrhythmia, you can upload it on this site so that I can give you a more specific answer.

Feel free to contact me again with any reports for further clarifications.
With regards,
Dr RS Varma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor