Child experiencing hotness in foot post broken tibia surgery. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son just had surgery to fix a broken tibia stretched growth plate and ankle dislocation. They put a plate to attach the the tibia and growth plate together. He has been home two days. When he puts his foot down for any period of time his foot gets very hot. Should I be concerned.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Concerned if it is hot all times & there is fever Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. When he puts his foot down, there is chances of more swelling and inflammation due to dependent position. This might be the reason that his foot got very hot when he puts his foot down. As his tibia was fixed 2 days back ,weight bearing is not allowed. If the foot is getting hot all the time and there is any fever, then he need to get examined by his surgeon to rule out any infection. Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern. Wishing your son speedy recovery.. Regards.