Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Child diagnosed with vitiligo. What is the chance of recovery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
Hi my little girl of 3 was diagnosed with vitilgo yesterday. i know it is an auto immune disease and that it "attacks the pigment of the skin. can she outgrows this, does it reach a peak and then stops and do these white spots go away in some cases. my dermatologist assured me that the younger kids get it the better the chances on recovering and in some cases the pigment gets back to its normal collour. She has had them for the past six months now on her shoulder and tummy. According to my doc there is absolutely nothing you can do about this, especially in children. The disease must peak and then it will stabilize. Please excuse all the grammar mistakes, i am from south Africa and English is my second language. We are 'European", but she has a beautiful, strong skin so the spots are quite obvious. can you please give me more info, i am so concerned that it will reach her face and when will she get over this, in other words, when will this stop? Thank you so much! regards, XXXXXX, south africa
Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.
The treatment of vitiligo in childhood involves
Prevention of progression of disease followed by
Induction of repigmentation of lesions

Though the results are better in children however some children might not respond to treatment at all. However at no point one should wait for lesions to peak or stabilise and then regress.
The progression of disease can be stopped by oral minipulse of steroids or narrow band UVB phototherapy and pigmentation can be induced by topical steroids or tacrolimus or calcipotriol. The treatment depends upon body surface area involved if lesions involve less than 20 percent of body surface area topicals are used. If involvement is more than oral or systemic therapy is tried.

I would advise that you discuss a dermatologist nearby so that lesions can be examined and appropriate treatment can be offered accordingly.
Hope that helped. Should there be any other query, feel free to write back.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor