Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Child diagnosed with kidney stones, on Potrate. Routine urine done. Next step?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1973
Answered : 702 Questions
My daughter is five years old, 17 kg wt. she has been detected 3.5 mm right kidney stone on complaint of sever pain. Now the urine routine report has indicated RBC- 70 -80/ HPF, WBC- 2-3/HPF, Pus cells 10-12/HPF, Albumin 30 mg/DLC.
Urine color is slightly reddish/grayish.
She is taking POTRATE 5 ml twice. Pl advice next.
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 2 hours later
Thanks for the query,

Your daughter is 5 yrs old, 17 kg in weight and she suffered severe pain in the Right kidney area and found that she is having a kidney stone sized 3.5 mm
Her urine analysis reveals that
RBC: 70 to 80 / HPF, WBC: 2 to 3 / HPF, Pus cells: 10 to 12 / HPF and Albumin: 30 mg / DLC.

This results show that she is having Urine Culture and Sensitivity to assess the what type of organisms are there and which antibiotic is more effective.
2)     Routine Blood tests like TLC, DLC, ESR, Hb%, Serum Calcium and Uric acid, Blood urea + Serum creatinine + (Mx test if advised)
3)     Plain X-Ray KUB area – if not done
4)     USG – KUB area – if not done

With all results in hand, treating her with appropriate Antibiotic, Urine alkalizing drugs, she will be relieved of any infection, if present.

Regarding the stone, plan her diet after consultation with a urologist(including foods to be avoided), give her lots of fluids. Management depends on the size and type of stone. Usually the stones are of two types: calcium and uric acid. It may include forced diuresis (a technique which makes the stone to pass down). Medical management may include medicines like Cystone, Xyloric, etc.

I hope with this measure the stone will descend and pass via natural.

With all my best wishes and prayers
Dr. S. Jegadeesan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor