Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Child develops fluid filled bruise on vertebrae at back. It doesn't hurt. How to get rid of it?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9335 Questions
My 14 yr. old daughter is a dancer she spends alot of time during contempary or modern dance rolling around on the floor. She developed these fluid filled bruises on her vertebrae of her spine awhile back. She said they don't hurt but they don't look good. Just wondering if I need to take her to a specialist or not. Or if you have any idea what they might be.
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 29 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

It would help if you could attach photo, but considering her sport activity, if there is excessive friction between her back and floor, then it can cause skin lesions called bula or vesicle, because superficial skin layer detach from deeper layers and fluid accumulates in it.
Second possible cause is haematoma or subcutaneous edema and this is caused by same mechanism.
Whatever it is, this is nothing serious ,but she should rest till symptoms subside, put some ice if there is pain or swelling and if you notice signs of inflammation ( redness,pain, pus secretion)you should visit doctor. When it heals, she should put some soft compresses or plasters in this area while dancing to prevent it.
If these bruises occur with no reason(trauma, dancing) then she needs to do some haematological tests to rule out some blood clotting disorders.
WIsh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child develops fluid filled bruise on vertebrae at back. It doesn't hurt. How to get rid of it? 16 hours later This is a picture of her spine doe's not look like what you thought it was. I pulled up pics online. Let me know what you think.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 15 hours later
Hi sir.
This is something more significant as i can see from photo. It can be traumatic bruising but if there wasnt obvious hit than she needs further evaluation.
i suggest ultrasound first and needle aspiration if necessary. Till that just put ice compresses and she must completely avoid pressure on this part of spine.
if it becomes painful, swelling progresses or there is pus secretion, she must go to doctor because antibiotic treatment is necessary. Wish you good day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor