Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Child developed pinworms. Giving different kinds of supplements. Looking for treatment

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 442 Questions
Since my child has had pinworms & I've researched it, I can't sleep at night. Even after taking all precautions in my house & treating my entire family with OTC meds, I have developed a paranoia of worms.

I go to sleep fine, but wake up between 12:30 & 3:00 with all the symptoms. Then I run to the bathroom, check for worms, get on the Internet for more research... And don't go back to sleep.

I take all kinds of supplements now & have tried all kinds of different methods to stop the pinworm itch.

During the day I'm fine, but at night it starts all over again.

Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 53 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

After going through your problem in details it seems you developed a fear of pin worm. This type of psychiatric condition is called specific phobia. Here the person becomes fearful towards any particular object or situation.

But my concern is to whether you also have any kind of somatic hallucination of pin worm - which is called delusions of parasitosis.

To know more about it, I need answer of some of my questions.
1. Have you or any of your family members ever seen the pin worm?
2. Do you ever feel the motion of the pin worm under your skin?
3. Were you able to locate the worm when you feel their motion on your skin?
4. Do you ever apply any chemical on your body with the aim of killing it?

Please give answer to my above mentioned questions. I can be able to comment more about the problem and its treatment.

Waiting for your reply

Dr Sourav Ganguly
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child developed pinworms. Giving different kinds of supplements. Looking for treatment 2 hours later
1- 19 year old son has seen one. That is why we began treatment. He works in a daycare. I search for them nightly on myself.

2- I think I have felt them around my anus. But that was only after taking Pin-X twice, plus a prescription. Now I feel them ever night. I am considering taking Pin-X again for a fourth time. The prescription is only a one time treatment.

3- I have never been able to see the worm. Although I read on the Internet that it is common.

4- I have tried rubbing alcohol, witch XXXXXXX Vaseline & Noxzema.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Thanks for early reply.

From your history, the real existence of pinworm is controversial.

Best things for you to do a thread test for yourself and an early morning stool examination for ova parasite and cyst.

You will get the procedure of thread/tape test in any website. For your help I am siting one
If it is negative then you are suffering from delusion of parasitosis.

Treatment of choice for this disorder is pimozide but side by side, you have to take psycho-educational counseling for a better result.

So consult a psychiatrist for final opinion.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sourav Ganguly
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor