Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Child complaining of severe stomach pain. How to ease the pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Critical Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 1663 Questions
my son who is 14 is complaining of severe stomach pain. He ate pistachios What can I do to help ease the pain? Should I take him to the hospital
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There is nothing to worry. Detailed Answer: HelloXXXXXX. Though Pistachios are good for health and usually do not cause any health problem, except when large quantities are taken for prolonged time when they can cause cardiovascular problems. It contains a compound called fructans which some times in some individuals can cause gsatro intestinal tract upset leading to abdominal pain, bloating, flatulence, constipation and some time diarrhoea. That is what has happened to your child. You need not be worried. Give him some proton pump blocker like pantoprazole or prilosec OTC (available over the counter) and antispasmodic. Hopefully he will respond to this conservative line of treatment. In case he doesn't respond a visit to ER recommended. Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any more question regarding your son. Regards Dr Sadiq.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor