Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Child born with incomplete palm. Suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1794 Questions
Hello doctor, one of my friend's one year old kid having some problem, at the time of his born his left hand palm not developed completely. Till wrist its developed but finger parts and palm part not completely developed. Sending the photos of the same, could you pl check the same and provide your valuable references if any or suggestion.
pl do the needful. But I am not getting option to upload the photos in the site.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 5 hours later
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
I did see the three photos which you had uploaded.
From what I can understand, this condition is called symbrachydactyly.

Here the fingers may be fused and less developed from birth. This is a genetic problem which occurs in usually one limb due to decreased formation of tissueson that limb.
Usually the aim is to make the child independent and help using his hands effectively. Do consult a plastic surgeon, sometimes surgeries can be helpful to some extent in deepening the webs between individual fingers. Surgery can also restore some finger elements with bone graft. But it is impossible to get normal hand with full function.
As you have mentioned this problem may be associated with heart problems, which needs regular follow ups and treatment as indicated.
Do rule out kidney problems too with ultrasound if not done already.
Hope I answered your query .
Do contact if you need any more help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor