Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Child being abused be parents. Any treatment?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
please help me save my 8yr old brave granddaughter abused for months by schizophrenic Mother as a toddler. She is haunted and presents with inappropriate sexuality, rages, defensiveness to all perceived criticism .Father and stepmother will not consider therapy. Am in a place of total trust & openness W/ her and am in a place where this is the only hope she has.. DESPERATELY NEED GUIDANCE
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query,

I appreciate your concern on your grand daughter's health and well being.

With your history it seems your grand daughter is not in a safe place and secured environment because of her schizophrenic mother and negligence of her father and stepmother.

This comes under the abuse and neglect of children by her care takers (i.e. her parents).

And the inappropriate sexuality, rages, and the defensiveness to all perceived criticism are the consequences could be due to the neglect and child abuse.

The first intervention is to remove the child from that unsecured environment and to keep her in a protected, child friendly institutions as per your government laws.

She needs evaluation and management of her physical, psychological health, and the consequences of the abuse and neglect by a Pediatrician, child psychiatrist and clinical child psychologist.

Approach for the help from the social support groups and legal authorities concerning with the children rights.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child being abused be parents. Any treatment? 11 hours later
It seems, I have not been clear in my question. She is in a an extremely loving environment with her Father and new Stepmother. The abuse took place during a time when she was in the care of the birth mother. The process of having her removed from that environment took over a year. Neither the police, CPS, or any entity would remove her. Her Father was able to recover her thorough the courts. Not because they removed her and only because she failed to appear. Now, I am facing the huge challenge of doing the best I can to support her in dealing with her painful memories.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 12 hours later

Thank you for your query,

And i will appreciate you for taking so much care and concern of your grand daughter.

Now I understood that she had bitter experiences with her birth mother and now she is in a safe and loving environment with her father and stepmother.

She needs complete physical, psychological and psychiatric evaluation to assess her physical status, maturity, mental status, and to screen her for any consequent psychological illnesses like depression, and phobias.

So consult Pediatrician for the initial assessment of her, followed by consultation with a child psychiatrist and clinical psychologist to assess her mental status, mental trauma and to screen for the consequences of previous bitter experiences and for the effective management of them.

Child and the family needs counseling.

You discuss these things with her father and stepmother, and go for medical attention in the best interest of her good future and the well being of the whole family.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child being abused be parents. Any treatment? 1 hour later
I have begged for counseling. Physical health is perfect per pediatrician. Has had behavioral counseling to address temper, is on roperanol??? to help with temper and acting out...she has confided me her anger is because of her mother. Parents do not want to acknowledge I have talked, begged and threatened. They act as if that if they do not is not real. She and I have a XXXXXXX bond with total trust & LOVE. I AM HER ONLY HOPE FOR NOW. Tell me what to read so I know what I can do . Have raised 3 healthy children . My 7 grandchildren have all come to me for guidance
Have a Masters..Where can I go info?? Please advise
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 26 minutes later

Thank you for your query and getting back,

I appreciate your patience and concern to to make her a healthy child both physically and mentally.

It is the responsibility of the parents to take care of their child's care and the medical attention whenever she needs.

You can take the help of the social support groups to take her for the psychiatric and psychological evaluation and for the appropriate treatment.

The evaluation, counseling and medical treatment can be done by qualified doctors and experts in that fields only and it requires clinical skills and appropriate tools.

So I advise you to take her to the regular Pediatrician so that he will do the arrangements for her proper referrals for psychiatric and psychological management.

Raising three normal healthy children, even though a big task, but an enjoying thing for a lovable persons like you.

But raising the mentally disturbed child with the past bitter experiences needs appropriate medical attention to correct her functionality in addition to the healthy raring practices.

If this is not corrected early in may lead to severe psychiatric and social problems in child, family and community.

Hope I have answered your query, if you don't have any clarification you can close the session and your kind review of my answer is always welcomed to advise in a better way in the future.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor